Changing Your Name on SEFCU Accounts

Need to update or change your name? Please bring a driver's License or government-issued ID with your new name into one of our SEFCU locations. The ID must have a photo.

If you do not have a new driver’s license or government-issued ID yet, you may use your old driver’s license or government issued ID displaying your old name along with one of the following: 

  • An official marriage certificate
  • Divorce papers allowing the name change
  • Any other official affidavit allowing the name change that has either a file number or district number from the county clerk or court in which it was filed 

You can also download this Member Details Change form and bring it with you to help speed along the process! 
Don’t have access to one of our convenient branch locations? Contact our Member Solutions Center at 800-727-3328.